Friday, January 1, 2010

For Auld Lang Syne

Another year has come and gone. Not only that, but another decade has come and gone!

Before I talk about the new year, let me bring you up to speed. Around the beginning of November, I was thinking about mine and Emily's financial situation and how January was going to be difficult since Emily would have so much time off in December. I wasn't necessary worried, but I wasn't sure what we were going to do. I was also thinking that April would be tough since Emily would have even more time off in March when Maizie arrives. Meanwhile, things were kind of a mess at my parents' house due to my grandparents' health (my mom's parents were living with them at the time). My grandparents ended up moving about five miles away, leaving my parents alone in their big house in Silverton. Then my parents offered Emily and me the opportunity to move in with them. Emily and I thought about it and decided to take them up on their offer. We ended up moving in with them on December 19th (two weeks ago tomorrow). Some people might think it's weird for a married couple (especially recently married) to live with their parents, but I promise it's not a bad situation. We totally have our own space and it's completely fine. Anyway, we're now in a much better financial situation. There's a lot of other blessings that have come with this move, too.

Now that you know about that, I can talk about the new year. Yesterday I was by myself at work. I don't mind that at all. In fact, I actually like it because I can really focus on my nerderies :). Pretty much immediately after work, Emily and I went to her parents' house where we celebrated New Year's Eve. Emily's Uncle Brent and Aunt Janet were there too, so there were six of us. There was delicious food, good conversation, and fun games! We played a game that we affectionately call Poohead and we also played Up and Down the River. In between going "down the river" and going "up the river", we watched the following videos on YouTube:









When it was almost midnight, we turned on the TV and flipped through the channels. It was mostly dumb stuff. We saw Jennifer Lopez singing and other stuff. We ended up watching the second half of an episode of the Twilight Zone called "The Grave". Shortly after midnight, we opened the door to see if anybody was making any noise, and there was quite a bit of cheering and we could hear fireworks, too. Emily's dad blew a little horn thing that sounded really funny. It kind of sounded like an injured duck or something :).

On our way home, it was raining, so we had to go quite a bit slower. I took a different route home so that I could show Emily the new route that I take to go home after work. I like it because there are no traffic lights. When we were almost home, we were in a residential area and there was a cop driving in the opposite lane coming towards us. As soon as he passed us, he stopped, turned around, and started following us. I immediately thought about how fast I was going and I thought I might've been going a little bit faster than I should've been. I totally thought he was going to pull me over, but he ended up turning, which was a relief.

At home, my mom was using her laptop and my dad was already sleeping. Apparently he had just barely made it to midnight and then crashed. I can't remember when Emily and I fell asleep, but it was probably between 1:30 and 2:00.

Emily woke up at around 9:00 this morning and I woke up at around 9:45. We've been super lazy today, though. We haven't even gone outside. I'm still in my pajamas and haven't taken a shower. Great way to start off the new year, eh? Jeremy called me from Germany and we talked about video games and movies and stuff. Speaking of which, I recently got to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii at Cody's house. My parents went to visit my aunt and uncle in West Salem, so I had them pick up a copy of the game on their way out there. You know what I'll be doing tonight :)! Emily and I got two free movie passes for Christmas from my uncle Ken. I'd like to see Avatar since it's supposed to be super amazing and worthwhile. Emily would rather see Sherlock Holmes, though, so we're probably going to go with her parents. Emily and her mom will see Sherlock Holmes and her dad and I will see Avatar.

Talking about Avatar got me thinking about the Nickelodeon TV series called Avatar: The Last Airbender. I had never seen it, but Jeremy and Mary said it was good. I'd like to watch the series before the Last Airbender comes out in the summer, so I watched the first episode today. It wasn't bad. I haven't seen enough of the series to really have an opinion on it, though.

After that, Emily and I played three games of Rummikub. I won one and Emily won two.

Other than talking to Jeremy, watching the first episode of Avatar, and playing Rummikub, we haven't done much else. It's been a quiet, lazy day. And that's the start of our 2010. Oh yeah, like I mentioned on Twitter, I'm calling this year "Twenty ten" because it's one syllable less than "Two thousand ten". And that's that.

2 comments:

  1. that sounds like a good new years to me! =) i think a lot of people will be calling it twenty ten. i will probably do both. hahaha hope you guys have a good rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided to go with "Oh Ten" because it's one syllable less then "Twenty Ten"

    ReplyDelete